Last Updated: 8/29/2019
Information We Collect
To receive certain benefits of using the Websites, you may be required to voluntarily provide your personally identifiable information, including name, email address, physical address, phone number, job titles, and other employment and background information (“Personal Information”). If you do not agree with the collection of this Personal Information, you should not provide it. The following describes the types of personal and other information we may collect about you, and how we use and maintain that information:
Site Use Information
The cookies we use on our Websites may include:
- Session cookies: These temporary cookies expire and are automatically erased whenever you close your browser window. We use session cookies to grant our users access to content.
- Persistent cookies: These usually have an expiration date in the distant future and remain in your browser until they expire or you manually delete them. We use persistent cookies to better understand usage patterns so we can improve the Websites for our users. For example, we may use a persistent cookie to associate you with your user account or to remember your choices on the Websites.
We do not use technology that recognizes a “do-not-track” signal from your web browser.
Information You Provide to Us
Personal information may be used, for example, for identification purposes, to communicate with you regarding career opportunities or to facilitate the functioning of our Websites. If you provide us with a telephone number and/or email address, you expressly agree that we, or our authorized agents, can use that number and/or email address to contact you about career opportunities.
We may keep any information that you provide to us indefinitely.
Our Websites include the ability for you and other users to import your resume through LinkedIn. As a result, we receive information about you, including but not limited to your basic profile including your name, photo, headline, and current positions and the primary email associated with your LinkedIn account. We may keep all of this information indefinitely.
Disclosing Information to Third Parties
We will not share, rent, sell or otherwise disclose any Personal Information that we collect about you through our Websites, except in any of the following situations:
- You request or authorize the release of your Personal Information.
- We may use the Personal Information we collect from you to fulfill your requests, manage the Websites, and communicate with you career opportunities.
- We may disclose Personal Information that we collect about you to our third-party contractors who perform services for us in connection with the Websites. We may also disclose Personal Information to service providers or suppliers if the disclosure will enable that party to perform business, professional or technical support for us.
- We may provide your Personal Information to our affiliates, so as to provide access to benefits and communicate important information about them. We may also provide such Personal Information to other select third parties approved by Shorenstein as offering products or services relevant and useful to you. The use by and/or content of communications from any third party will be pre-approved by Shorenstein.
- We may disclose Personal Information about you to comply with the law, applicable regulations, governmental and quasi-governmental requests, court orders or subpoenas, other agreements, or to protect our rights, property or safety or the rights, property or safety of our users or others (e.g., to a consumer reporting agency for fraud protection). We reserve the right to release information that we collect to law enforcement or other government officials, as we, in our sole and absolute discretion, deem necessary or appropriate.
- We may share aggregated or anonymous information that cannot identify you with third parties. For example, we may disclose the number of visitors to our Websites or the number of people who have downloaded a particular document.
To help protect the privacy of data you transmit through our Websites, where Personal Information is requested, we use technology designed to encrypt the information that you input before it is sent to us. In addition, we take steps to protect the user data we collect against unauthorized access. However, you should keep in mind that the Websites is run on software, hardware and networks, any component of which may, from time to time, require maintenance or experience problems or breaches of security beyond our control.
While we take steps to protect your Personal Information and keep it secure, you also play a role in protecting your information. You can help to maintain the security of your online activities by not sharing your account information and password with anyone. Shorenstein cannot guarantee the security of any information you transmit to us or from our Websites, and therefore you use our Websites at your own risk.
Links to Other Websites
If you are under the age of 18, please do not use or access the Websites in any way. We will not knowingly collect or use any Personal Information from any child under the age of 18. It is not our intention to collect Personal Information from anyone under 18 years of age. If we become aware that we have collected any personal information from children under the age of 18, we will promptly delete such information from our databases.
California Privacy Rights
Under California law, a California resident with whom we have an established relationship has the right to request certain information with respect to the types of Personal Information we have shared with third parties for their direct marketing purposes, and the identities of those third parties, within the immediately preceding calendar year, subject to certain exceptions. California residents who have an established relationship with Shorenstein may tell us not to share their Personal Information with third parties for marketing purposes. To opt out, you may contact us at any time as described below under Contact.
Access from Outside the United States
If you access the Website from outside of the United States, information that we collect about you will be transferred to servers inside the United States and maintained indefinitely, which may involve the transfer of information out of your country of origin. By allowing us to collect information about you, you consent to such transfer and processing of your data.